Through Winnie, parents can use the app or web-based database to search for and connect with childcare, preschool, and school age program providers based on a number of criteria including geographic location, schedule, and language. Winnie also supports providers to connect with prospective families, fill staffing needs, and grow their business.
Active since 2016
- Technology utilized
- Target audience
- ECD Focus areas
How it works
Winnie provides resources and a searchable database that helps parents to identify childcare, preschool, and school age programs for free.Read more
- This database consolidates information on a diverse range of providers, including home based childcare providers, who have a limited online presence. Parents can search and filter providers in the database across a variety of options including geography, schedule (e.g., drop-in, 24 hour), language, curriculum, and availability of current openings. Each provider has a detailed profile with a short description, details on their programs, schedules, timings, financial aid, and current licensing status along with photos and reviews.
- There are options for parents to search for bilingual and Spanish-speaking programs, as well as special needs care, if relevant. Parents can use the platform to contact providers to set up tours and inquire about enrollment.
- The app and website also have resources for parents on how to identify the right providers based on their needs (e.g., childcare and preschool tour checklists, introduction montessori approach, cost of childcare and preschool programs).
Winnie also works with providers to support the growth of their business.
- Providers can claim a free page where they can list their business and connect with parents for enrollment inquiries. A number of free resources are available including articles on owning a daycare franchise and writing job descriptions for staff. Providers have the option of signing up for a paid subscription, Winnie Pro, which offers expanded features such as a boost in search results and other marketing support (e.g., optimized ads on Google and Facebook, spotlight in Winnie’s email newsletter), a lead dashboard to manage enrollment interest, an opportunity to promote job openings, hands-on training from Winnie staff, and the ability to manage multiple centers through the platform.
- The platform also includes a job board for childcare and preschool staff.
- User engagement strategies
- Sharing tips and resources Sharing knowledge and activities to improve practices, behaviors, and skills in different ways (e.g., short messages, videos) to support child development.
- Enabling connections Facilitating connections between different users of the tool including between parents/caregivers, between the workforce and parents/caregivers, and between frontline workers and their supervisors.
- Providing referrals to service providers Directing users towards more specialized support (e.g., mental health professionals, child services) to address needs.
Reach and relevance
VariedMillions of parents and approximately 250,000 providers have used Winnie.
- Country of origin
United States of America
Users learn about Winnie through search engines. In some regions of the country where Winnie has a strong foothold, users may learn about the service through word of mouth.
Technology and access
Winnie can be accessed through a mobile/tablet based app or through a web-based database. It requires use of a smartphone, computer, or tablet. Winnie is free for parents. Providers can utilize Winnie for free but have the option to sign up for a paid subscription with expanded features.
- Connectivity requirements
- Device types
- Cost model
Winnie primarily measures success in parent engagement through understanding the number of contacts made by parents to childcare provider(s) of interest, as well as number of active parent users. For providers, Winnie looks at a number of metrics including how active they are on the platform, how many parents and job applicants engage with them, and how quickly they fill openings.